|Indiana law requires all property
owners to make an important call before doing any digging on their property. Before you start those outdoor projects, take
the time to call 811 at least two full working days before you plan to start.
|When Do You Call Indiana-811?
- • Installing a fence or pool
• Excavating for construction
• For every digging project
|Steps To Begin Your Project
- Outline your project with white paint.
- Call IUPPS at 811 or 800-382-5544 at least "two full working days" but not more than 20 calendar days prior to the start of your project.
- Be prepared to provide the following information regarding the location and plans for your project:
• Your name and phone number
• Street address and cross street of your project
• County and township of your project
• Type and extent of work you will be doing
• Installing a fence or pool
• Area of your property you need to have located
• Contractor name, address, and phone number, when applicable
• Best time to call back
| After You Call
- Give utility companies up to 48 hours to respond
- Once utility companies come out and check your property, you will see either a dotted line on the ground or a flag with an “OK” painted on the ground in each color on the chart.
- The dotted line indicates underground lines exist on your property
- The flag and “OK” painted on the ground indicates there is no lines underground on your property but the area has been checked
- At least the first four colors -- red, yellow, orange and blue -- must be shown before you can begin digging safely.
- Dig with care! Stay at least 24 inches away from the buried facility. If you're planting a tree, remember to consider the length of the roots as the tree grows, and don't plant large trees below overhead power lines.